Thursday 1 March 2012

Model Three: Building in Milan

This is my three and final model. I'm not sure why the screenshots had decided to brighten up the model but I didn't have the time to figure it out '^^.


The model was based on this picture...


The reason I chose this building for my model is because this will be the building where the person (a.k.a. Da Vinci) will try out his flying machine for the first time, seeing the town square and the rest of Milan at his sights. It also gave me the practice to use Boolean to create the shape needed in the building, therefore the rest of the buildings should be a breeze. For the windows, I drew the shape in Illustrator, making the stain glass and texture in Photoshop before making it into a material and placing it on a plane, similar to what I did for the wings on the flying machine. Here is the window.

The building was a bit messy to start with. To make the arch in the middle, I had to use a simple box and use the Bend Modifier to bend it to a 180 degree angle, then using the cut tool to cut some of the side off since it was showing too much. After that, I created three boxes, two tall ones next to the arch and one on top of it. For the side boxes, I used the Extrude tool to create the indent in the building, as well as using Bevel to create the indent on the side. I created extra boxes and adding the Bevel effect to point the edges out before placing them in the building. I did have trouble with the Bevel at first because I tried to use the Bevel on the actual main building, but the ledges seemed untidy and it seems to make the grid of the box messy. I made come Cylinders as the pillars at the egde of the indents, before MeshSmoothing the indent itself so that it didn't look so pointy. The material was a pain, having to use the UVW Mapping to rotate and orangise the texture, even having to go to photoshop a couple of times to add certain detail for the building, like this texture.



No comments:

Post a Comment